Following the fall of Melaka, the Portuguese built a fort to deter enemy threats at the time. The fort was built from laterite stone sourced from surrounding areas. Built circular to the city with 8 bastions, each built in every corner of the city as well as strategic locations at the walls to monitor incoming enemy forces.
The Fredrick Hendrick bastion is one of six fully functioning bastions at the time. The Dutch later fortified and built a sturdier bastion when they defeated the Portuguese in 1641. The Dutch still received threats from the local community that tried to wrestle back Melaka. Additions to the fort walls were also carried out, especially near the river mouth of Melaka River, the site of trade and stop-overs of ships from around the world.