Fort Cornwallis was built in the late 1700s by the British East India Company on the northeastern coast of Penang Island. It is named after the late 18th century Governor-General of Bengal, India, Charles Cornwallis, the 1st Marquess Cornwallis. The fort located in Esplanade, Penang is also the largest standing fort in Malaysia.
It's walls, approximately 10 feet high, are laid out in a star-shape formation. A stroll along the perimeters takes roughly 10 minutes. Inside the fort, you can still see some of the original structures built over a century ago, including a chapel, prison cells, ammunitions storage area, a harbour light once used to signal incoming ships, the original flagstaff and several old bronze cannons, one of which is a Dutch cannon called the Seri Rambai, dated 1603. Some locals believe that this particular cannon can have a positive effect on a woman's fertility.
Today, this privately managed historical site is popular among visitors. It is equipped with a tourist information kiosk, a cafe, an open-air amphitheatre, a history gallery and a souvenir centre. Guides are also available for hire.