Candi Pengkalan Bujang is believed to have built between the 10th and 14th century. The site was identified by Dr. Quaritch Wales during his scouting trips carried out between 1936 and 1937. Excavation works started in 1974 and were carried out by the Department of Museums and Antiquities. From 1986 to 1991, the Bujang Valley Archaeological Museum collaborated with professors and students from the History Faculty, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia to carry out an excavation project at the complex in Mukim Bujang, especially at Site 23.
This led to the discovery of six stupas covering an area of 3.5 hectares. The architecture of these stupas had influences from both Hinduism and Buddhism cultures.