After the fall of Melaka to the Dutch on 14 January 1641, new measures were taken to ensure the safety of Melaka. The Dutch fortified the walls of Melaka city, which further strengthen the existing city defences left by the Portuguese.
The Dutch still received threats from outsiders and locals vying to wrestle back the city of Melaka. The fortification of the city’s walls involved the building of a bastion strategically located at the mouth of Melaka River, the focal point for trade and stopovers for ships.
The building of a bastion, known as Middleburg was carried out by the Dutch in 1660. This new control tower added to the existing bastions of Melaka city to nine and provided essential cannon support to the military. It proved a vital factor in overcoming unseen threats.